10 Things Nigerians Don’t Know About Dubai

Icon May 3, 2019
Icon By Kolapo Imam
Icon 0 comments

Dubai is one of the most fun-filled chilled destinations to visit, it is a business and popular tourist destination and a cultural sensitive city, In Dubai Islam is considered to be the official state religion. The city is unique and has rules that require you to respect yourself to a certain level.

Dubai is known for luxury shopping, architecture, and a lively nightlife scene. It home to the tallest building in the world.

In this article, I will be sharing a list of some hidden fun facts about Dubai Nigerians don’t probably know about.

A huge amount of the population in Dubai are emigrants: only about 15% of Dubai’s population are citizens. The rest 85% are expatriates from Pakistan, India, etc.

Dressing Rule in Dubai is conservative: In Dubai, You are not allowed to show a flash of your skin and curves, you’ll be fined if you are caught. You’ll see signs about this modesty campaign posted in the Dubai malls.

Using your left hand is considered unclean: The locals find it offensive or disrespectful when you greet, open doors, or hand someone food with your left hand. As a traveler, you should be mindful of when to use your left hand, especially in certain circumstances.

During Ramadan, you could be fined for playing loud music: If you find yourself in Dubai during Ramadan period, you might want to think twice before you play loud music, or even dance to music, this is because you could be fined. So you’ll have to remain in the solemn mood or at least pretend to when you’re in public.

The Police Force in Dubai makes use of very expensive classy cars: Dubai’s police force uses supercars to impress tourists and show how “Sophisticated” the city is. This includes cars such as the Ferrari FF ($500,000), Lamborghini Aventador ($397,000) and an Aston Martin One-77 ($1.79 million).

Eating in public during Ramadan is considered disrespectful: If you visit Dubai during the holy month of Ramadan celebrated during the ninth month of the Islamic calendar, You’ll be expected regardless of your religion not to eat or drink in public during the period of their fast. In fact, most of their eating establishments will be closed for business.

It is only until recently Dubai started having addresses and postal systems: It’s amazing how Dubai is known to be fast developing but it is only until recently it developed a standard address system. Instead of an address line on a mailing label, there was a space where residents could draw a map or write out descriptive instructions such as: “After you pass the mall, it’s the first street to the left.” It wasn’t until 2015 that Dubai started assigning a unique 10 digit code to all buildings to help identify them.

There’s no such thing as income tax in Dubai: When working in Dubai you aren’t required to pay income tax. This attracts a lot of people who come to Dubai with the idea of saving a good amount of money in a short amount of time.

Dubai seems to constantly have the best of everything: Dubai has super luxurious hotels that you can barely find anywhere in the world, they are super luxurious. it also is home to the tallest building in the world, the Burj Khalifa, which can be seen from 95 km away and is 163 stories high. It also has the largest indoor mall in the world, the biggest aquarium, the biggest automated fountain, the tallest hotel, the longest automated rail network. etc.

You may need consent to take pictures: As a traveler, you’ll be tempted to whip out your camera or mobile phone to capture some shots of the city and its people. But be advised: it’s disrespectful to take photos without receiving the proper consent, especially if you’re trying to take photos of women and children. So put your camera away and take a mental snapshot instead.

Dubai is a spectacular city that will leave you with unique impressions and stories you’ll forever cherish.

Leave a reply