Steps to apply for Express Entry into Canada

Icon September 9, 2019
Icon By Kanyinsola Ogedengbe
Icon 0 comments


Whether it’s for a change of scenery or pastures greener than what you’re used to, Canada seems to be the land of milk and honey, hence the top destination for all those looking to relocate.  However, the process of immigrating to Canada seem daunting and complicated to most if not all.

Here is the application process for skilled immigrants who want to settle in Canada permanently and take part in their economy.

  1. To immigrate to Canada as a skilled worker, you will need an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) for education received outside of Canada.

An Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) is used to verify that your foreign degree, diploma, certificate (or other proof of your credential) is valid and equal to a Canadian one. You will need to get an ECA specifically for immigration purposes for your foreign degree, diploma or certificate if you are applying for the Atlantic Immigration Pilot.

The ECA report must show that your completed foreign credential (degree, diploma or certificate) is equal to a completed Canadian secondary school (high school) or post-secondary credential.

World Education Services (WES) is designated by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to provide Educational Credential Assessments (ECAs) for degrees and diplomas earned outside of Canada.

    2.  To be eligible for Express Entry, you must prove your English or French language ability.

Hence it is necessary to sit for the IELTS. The International English Language Testing System, or IELTS, is an international standardized test of English language proficiency for non-native English language speakers. The language test evaluates your writing, reading, listening and speaking abilities.

3. Create an Online Profile.

Once both the ECA and IELTS have been completed and results received, an applicant can go ahead and create an online profile for the express entry by filling out the online form. If you want to come to Canada as a skilled immigrant, your first step is to submit your profile to the Express Entry pool. If you’re eligible, this will place you in a pool with others who are also eligible and give you a score and rank you using several factors. Then you will be invited to apply to be a permanent resident of Canada (if you’re one of the top candidates). You can only apply online if you are sent an invitation to apply. Completing an online Express Entry profile or entering the pool doesn’t guarantee that you’ll be invited to apply for permanent residence.

4.Get your Documents Ready

If you’re invited to apply, you’ll need to get ready to upload copies of the documents you used for your profile.   Most applicants will also need to upload the following:

  • police certificates
  • medical exams

   5. The next step is to create or sign in to your account.

To complete your profile, you’ll need:

  • information from certain documents (for example, language test results)
  • your National Occupational Classification (NOC) job title and code

You may exit the profile at any time. Your information will be saved in your account.. You have 60 days to complete and submit your Express Entry profile. Otherwise, you’ll have to start again.

Once you’ve filled out your profile, you can submit it online. You can only apply for permanent residence through Express Entry if you’ve received an invitation to apply.

Your Express Entry invitation to apply is valid for 60 days only. You should start filling out the online form right away so that you can get all the information and documents you need before your invitation expires.

Follow these steps to fill out the online form to apply for permanent residence:

  • sign in to your account
  • click the link to apply for permanent residence under Express Entry

When filling out the form:

  • all of your answers must be complete and true
  • make sure all the mandatory fields are completed or you won’t be able to submit your application
  • you can save your information on the form and go back as often as you need

6. Once your application has been approved you’ll be mailed  a:

  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR)
  • a permanent resident visa (if you’re from a country that requires a visa)

Check to make sure your information is correct. It should be the same as the information on your passport. If there is a mistake on your COPR, contact the appropriate authorities.

Your COPR can’t be extended, so you should make sure to use it before it expires.


The road to a successful immigration process may seem long, but we aim to get you through it as easily and seamlessly as possible.

For more information do not  hesitate to contact us.

Leave a reply